By Vijay Bhatt
Body posture plays critical part in our health and general wellness. Sitting is therefore not only human nature but sitting properly is a science that has widespread ramifications on our health.
Health ramifications of improper sitting posture
- Heart problems are major threats to people who sit for long duration at the same place and posture. Fat is not burnt and blood flow is relatively slowed which could lead to high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Sitting for long also causes muscles to weaken and cells become slow to react against insulin and pancreas start producing glucose and cause diabetes.
- Scientific research reveals that prolonged sitting makes people vulnerable to colon and breast cancer because metabolic and physical activities help to produce anti-oxidants which help to fight cancer by killing free radical which lead to cancer.
- Shoulder and neck pain as wrong posture of sitting leads to deformation of bone, problems of cervical vertebra,
- Major problems of cervical chord and spine, constant back ache
- Serious problems in leg like swelling of the joints and muscles, vericose veins and deep vein thrombosis etc.
Correct sitting style
- While sitting keep your waist and back straight (do not keep your spine bent for long) and shoulder stretched.
- Donot sit in one position for more than 30 minutes. Stretch your body and take 5 minutes break every hour.
- Adjust the height of the chair such that your hand and elbow are at the level of the table and shoulders are not stressed.
- When you have to move, move the whole body rather than individual organs like hand and waist etc.
- Wear loose clothes when you have to sit for long at one place.
- Consult doctor if you have constant back pain, lower back pain or any muscular problem and avoid sitting for long at one place or posture.