• Acute pain in the chest especially in the left side.
• Radiating pain in the left arm.
• Pain relieved after rest
• They often happen while the person is either walking or just had his meals.
• The main cause of the Angina is attributed to the thickening coronary arteries that reduce the flow of the blood to the heart muscles thus not only decreasing the supply of the blood and oxygen to the heart but also making the muscles to exert more pressure or force for the blood flow.
• Obstruction of the free flow of the requisite amount of blood to the heart muscles due to thickening of arteries when plaques or atheroma develop over a period of time on the inner lining. The narrowing of the arteries therefore obstructs the flow of blood to the heart.
• Treatment of any precipitating factors, such as hypertension, anemia, congestive heart failure, tachyarrhythmia and valve disease.
• GTN(GlycerylTrinitrate) tablets or spray under the tongue should be taken which immediately gets absorbed into the system. It relaxes the blood vessel and reduces the workload on the heart muscles. It also helps to widen the coronary arteries so that blood flow increases and pain and breathlessness stops.
• Statin drug to lower cholesterol level is recommended as the plaques are mainly formed of cholesterol.
• Aspirin (75mg) helps to de-clot the blood inside the arteries thereby easing the flow of blood. Persons already prone to duodenal ulcer and asthma are not recommended to use this drug.
• Angioplasty is the surgical process of widening the narrowed artery through the process of ballooning and putting a stent of titanium which is in the form of a spring.
• Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG) involves grafting of healthy artery, taken from other part of the body and bypassing the narrowed artery so that normal flow of blood is maintained.
If proper and immediate action is not taken up, it may lead to heart attack. Angina prognosis recommendslifestyle changes incorporating careful and non stressed mode of life style with controlled cholesterol diet, regular walking and other lifestyle changes.